Traditions Of March #1

March is a very festive month for me. It starts off for one thing with National Peanut Butter Day so you kind of already can guess it is a little more explosive than other months which start of normally… pfft…

Golden Delicious :)

Golden Delicious ;)

It is also the month for National Pi (e) Day, which I will of course also be commemorating in due time. Just guess, guess what day it falls on (for those who have long since ditched maths, I say good for you and also, remember 3.14…? :P) – come to think of it, Pi is also 22/7 so shouldn’t the 22nd of July also be Pi (e) day? Look, if I must sacrifice myself and honour the holiday by making pie, I will. For the day. Not for me. Not at all :)

Smooth, glossy gorgeous meringue

March also begins my autumn (and a lot of your springs!) – What is autumn to me? Autumn is falling leaves, red hues and brown-orange tinges, a reminiscent season for summer and the taste of maple syrup and pancakes permanently on your tongue. Was that last one just me?

Yeah, that’s your lil arsonist right there :P

Anyway, besides the delicious excuses to whip up food, this month is more importantly than anything else a huge birthday month. I am not kidding you. There are 5 family members (hoping I have not forgotten anyone as I go through my calendar ;)) and 3 friends of mine. 8 Birthdays in one month? Pretty hectic :D

A little too white right now…

To kick-start the birthday phenomena which is March, I reintroduce to you my daddy. My dear sweetie-pie daddy. My wrapped around my finger, gives me anything I want daddy. Wait, no cross that last bit out, I wasn’t supposed to say that…. oops :P

*****************************************************************************

Oooohhh… I want some now ;)

Veruca Salt: Daddy, I want a squirrel. Get me one of those squirrels, I want one!
Mr. Salt: Veruca dear, you have many marvellous pets.
Veruca Salt: All I’ve got at home is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six bunny rabbits and two parakeets and three canaries and a green parrot and a turtle, and a silly old hamster! I WANT a SQUIRREL!
Mr. Salt: All right, pet. Daddy’ll get you a squirrel just as soon as he possibly can.

*****************************************************************************

Jokes aside, if I had to describe my daddy (yes, I do call him daddy, so judge me as Veruca Salt :P) in three words, it would be like this

TOTALLY NOT POSSIBLE

Reminds you a little of this dangerous cake anyone?

He is awesometeddybearlikesmartfunnydrivesbesttechnologicallygenius *puff* coolfabulousfantasticbookreadingmostgeneralknowledgeable person I *puff* know. Sorry did you catch that *puff* because I don’t *puff* think *puff* I have the *puff* breath *puff* to say it again!

Last year I made him a lemon meringue pie for his birthday. It was one of my earliest posts on Microsoft and became one of those posts lost in the archives of my blog once I realised I could do much better photography and there was something called blog advertising :D

The name of that post was Happy Birthday Daddy 2011-Onwards. Even now I can remember thinking ‘as if daddy is going to want this tart again for his birthday next year but I will put this title down anyway because he enjoyed it so much’ – well what do you know? I think this is actually to become his staple birthday… cake? :P
Whatever floats his boat :D

Anyway, I did a couple of adjustments I would not have even thought of back then since I was still starting out but of course used this recipe. Nothing could ever beat this recipe. Never.

• I renamed it. Because I used a tart tin. It is not a pie. It is a lemon meringue tart. A pie becomes to big in my health obsessed famille. Tart tin all good.
  • I used a dash of vanilla (1 tsp I would say) in the infallible pie tart pastry crust. Vanilla makes life better no doubt.
  • I didn’t use any SRF, all plain flour because honestly that is just, with no chance of pesky lumps ad raised bits :)
  • I rolled out the pastry, set it in my greased tin and then refrigerated it while making the curd to cut back on its shrinking post-baking (a tip I found from here!)

Want some???

• I baked the meringue for the amount of recommended time but then I blowtorched it’s tips and slightly browned it like I did at school – that’s right guess who got her blowtorch going… yeah, that’s right no more hassle like here, guess who put her meringue slightly on fire… yea it was me :D
  • If you do decide to make a pie, I definitely recommend making 1 1/2 of the pastry recipe – better to have spare and make cute little cut out cookies rather than have too little :) (Bake the cut outs on a lined baking tray for 15-18 minutes at 160 degrees C fan forced, 180 degrees C normal, rotating tray halfway)

Too cute!

• Since I made the tart, I made 3/4 of the lemon curd recipe, which was ample – who knows how much leftover curd I would have succumbed to eating to if I had made the whole recipe ;)
  • Lemon curd tends to get a little hard to smooth after refrigeration – that means you should bake the crust for the first time, let cool, make the lemon curd, pour in after it becomes lukewarm and then refrigerate the whole thing together to get a smooth top :)

So there you have it. A lemon meringue tart done my way for that *takes a deep breath* awesometeddybearlikesmartfunnydrivesbesttechnologicallygeniuscoolfabulousfantasticbookreadingmostgeneralknowledgeable daddy o’ mine. Happy Birthday Daddy, I love you lots!!! Hope you enjoyed the pie tart because you deserve all of it and more. Thanks for being my *see above* daddy – I wouldn’t want you to be any other way :D :D :D :D

About these ads

126 Comments

1. Pingback: Daddy’s Throwback & Winner Announced!

2. petit4chocolatier says:

Wow! I love lemon meringue and this looks absolutely scrumptiously delicious! I have reblogged a few of your links on my new reblog page, and may add another!

Sincerely,
    judy

3. Pingback: Happy 1st Birthday Go Bake Yourself + International Giveaway « Go Bake Yourself

4. This is hilarious – I recently made a lemon meringue “tart”, too, and was excited to post it on my blog. Unfortunately, the filling hadn’t yet set, so I embarrassingly tucked it away in the fridge, never to be seen by the camera. But it still tasted delicious! Yours fared much better :)

5. Paula says:

Hoping you Dad enjoyed a wonderful birthday. I think I’d be pretty darn happy if this beautiful tart were to become by traditional birthday cake. Your meringue is perfect!

• Thanks my friend he most certainly did :D
      And I would be more than happy to pop over and make this meringue for your birthday – so glad you enjoyed it!

Choc Chip Uru

6. 8 birthdays? Holy Cats! Well looks like this month is a splurge month for you, YAY!!!! That lemon meringue pie looks gorgeous, that meringue is beyond amazing! Have fun celebrating, but remember it is not a sprint, it is a marathon, enjoy the delicious pie! Hugs, Terra

• It most certainly is a splurge month :D
      Thank you very much my friend – for both the kind words and the advice which I will be sure to remember :)

Choc Chip Uru

It means a lot to me that you enjoyed it! Your photography is also quite beautiful – makes me see nature in a different way :D

7. Caroline says:

Could this pie look any more gorgeous/delicious!? I’m not so sure. This is fabulous. I wouldn’t mind a huge slice right now. ;) Happy birthday to your dad!

And I definitely agree – nothing brings one into a party mood better than lemon meringue (except maybe chocolate ;))
      Happy you enjoyed!

Choc Chip Uru

8. Oh national pie day!! This sounds like an excellent excuse to make another pie (or tart) since I made one last night for no reason at all! Happy bday daddy! ;) What a great birthday pie! Yum!

9. Lemon meringue pie is one of my FAVOURITE desserts :) but i have never made it at home :) I’m a little intimated about the whole recipe hehe making the pie crust to the pie filling to the meringue! Yours looks fantastic ~
    Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!

Ps. I owen a blowtorch too but have only used it twice I know I know i’m so bad :P

I promise you nothing is intimidating about this pie – just take it one step at a time and you will be fine (it even rhymes ;))
      So whip out your blowtorch again and pie up a storm :D

Choc Chip Uru

P.S Thanks for subscribing, I hope you enjoy it :)

10. Kristina says:

omygosh your lemon meringue pie is gorgeous!! I made a meringue cake the other day and I seriously failed at torching the frosting, I wanted it to look like yours!

Pretty pretty pie!

I am so glad you liked this pie so much!!!
      As for torching, as you can see I did burn a couple of tips but really just kept it at lowest flame and literally just waved it 5-6cm away from the meringue – slower but effective :)

Choc Chip Uru

11. I have been wanting to make lemon meringue pie. We got a torch finally – after YEARS of putting it off saying we don’t need it. Now we need to get the lighter fuel, maybe in another year or so we’d finally get one hehe :) Yours look great!!! Happy Birthday to your dad!!

12. Lilly says:

You are just too funny! But also very sweet for making this pie for your dad. It looks great! Have fun at all the birthdays you have this month!

• Thank you very much my friend – and I too want this to become one of my teenage favourites :D
      And my dad will now get this for every year for the rest of his life – gotta love tradition :D

13. Simply Tia says:

I’ve never had lemon meringue pie but….but….but yours looks super duper awesome and I would soooo swallow it whole. You did a fantastic job!!! BRAVO!

I love the way you described your dad! I bet he is extremely proud to have such a wonderful daughter!

• Awww, you are too kind my friend – so many nice words about the tart, my dad and me – you are a truly wonderful person and I am glad you enjoyed this post :D

14. The Cosy Creative says:

Oh I am planning on making a lemon meringue pie this week, it will be my first time!! Yours looks delicious :)

15. Becky says:

Fabulous pie…I mean tart! I LOVE everything lemon!

For Christmas I tried my first lemon meringue and was not impressed with the recipe I used so I am going to have to give yours a try. It looks like a great recipe!

Plus…I just love using my torch! :)

Thanks so much for inspiring me to give lemon meringue a try again!

16. I think your daddy is lucky to have such a smartcleverfunnybeautifultalentedwonderfuldaughter too:) My dad loves lemon meringue pie.. You’ve got me thinking I should make him one when he’s back in town! And.. I just bought a blow torch! Fun!!

17. delicio8 says:

Happy Birthday Dad! I wouldn’t presume to call him daddy, he’s yours. …My dad loved my pecan pie and every time I make it I think of him. This will be your dad’s special pie er, um…tart. It looks wonderful. I love lemon curd.

18. What a beautiful ‘tart’, girlie! It is simply perfect and you’re extremely talented! At your age, I was only obsessed with the computer and games :P And way to go with getting your blowtorch on! I’m also in awe of how clean your meringue batter bowl is. By the time I’m done beating my meringue, it’s happily riding up the sides ;)

I am blushing at all these compliments!
      The torch was so much fun, seriously ;) – And as for the meringue I just whip it as such high speed which always seems to work ;)
      Glad you enjoyed!

Choc Chip Uru

19. Hello my Guru, My daughter is almost like you (not in baking) in getting what she wants. She asked for golden Pomeranian for Christmas gift and she got it.

Anyways, The tart look fabulous! I always love the meringue swirls and then blow torching it. It looks perfect. Lucky father to have a sweet girl like you.

• Haha, I have asked for a dog many a time but haven’t been that lucky :P
      What an adorable puppy :D
      And thank you so much – the torching was awesome fun and my dad loved it – you are very kind to say such nice things :)

20. Hallie says:

I love lemon meringue pie! It’s so tasty and always delicious! It’s been a long time I didnt bake one. Yours looks gorgeous!! I would need that little arsonist tool to get mine looking that pretty :-) and thanks for your comments on my blog, i really appreciate.

• It is my pleasure to always comment on your gorgeous posts – so exotic :D
      And thanks for such wonderful compliments – release that inner arsonist ;)

Choc Chip Uru

• Thank you very much – to get this pattern, just beat till stiff peaks and then use the back of a spoon to flick it upwards :)
      Simple and effective!

Choc Chip Uru

• Thank you my friend – I am glad you enjoyed this pie and I promise you, my dad most certainly did :D
      I had a lovely weekend and I hope you have a wonderful week!

Choc Chip Uru

• Thank you very much my friend! I appreciate your compliments, my dad says thank you and I am really glad you enjoyed this post :D
      And I love the blowtorch!

Sweet Comments Welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,332 other followers