Hi, what am I doing posting on a Wednesday during school?
*ooh, bad girl truanting*
*ooh, bad girl not working her butt off unnecessarily*
*ooh, bad girl!*
I will have you know that I can disprove all the above statements.
One: I am not truanting. Though every child takes the odd sick day which isn’t really a sick day, I can’t afford to anymore because we work quite a bit in school. So no, I woke up this morning with a splitting headache. And I’m telling you, I can sympathise with those bog body victims who got smashed with an axe on the skull before being tossed away. Ok, maybe not really :P
***1 1/2 hrs sleep later***
Two: I am working my butt off. Even though I am at home. I did my ancient history (bog bodies, so cool!), my modern history (ILY JFK), maths (ugh) and later I will be doing some English (double ugh)
***2 hrs sleep later***
Three: I am not a bad girl. Um ok, maybe I am. Because I made some cookies. Because I was feeling no headache-y and well, frankly cookies are something which really make one feel better anyway, don’t you agree :)?
Why did I make these cookies specifically? What you have to understand is this long and complicated equation:
3x – 4y/3xy + 24b + (-2)*-44x (squared) + 24/78 – (-0..987) + pi/pi x 3
Translated into English: M&Ms = Cookies = Happy JJ & I = Lots of Modern History :D
See how difficult mathematicians make life? When it is really so simple :)
First I am on an M&M kick (obviously you saw that here...). Then I found this gorgeous recipe and changed it quite a bit because that’s just what I do as you all know! So working together my love + a huge jumbo pack of mixed M&Ms (malted crispy, peanut and milk oh how I adore you) + this recipe, I made cookies.
Now you know me. Who is JJ? Maybe you should go meet her here (though never fear, you guys will be meeting again really soon ;)) She is my Modern History buddy. Together we are studying the infamous assassination of JFK, which is seriously interesting and I am not even being a touch sarcastic – remember how I said I liked writing ancient history essays? It stands but now includes MH.
Anyway, we have approximately 5 trees worth of sheets between us of evidence which need to be categorised and noted so we can eventually write our essay. Fun? These cookies will make it fun. I promise :)
So you see my necessity behind making these drop dead delicious cookies??? (Sorry JJ, but you can’t get to them till Friday and if you think I would wait that long, you are crazy :P)
So where does my title for this post come in?
Besides M&Ms, another things that make me happy are chewy cookies. The chewier my cookies the higher my um, happy meter goes :)
So 3 ways to a happier life = 3 ways to a chewier cookie
The first two of them were my changes:
- Brown sugar, all brown sugar – I didn’t even touch the caster stuff, it was nice and brown, so much brown (for variation, use dark brown and light brown ;))
- Brown butter (softened butter to melted butter is ok, but the depth of nutty caramelisation is only possible through browned butter…)
- Adding an extra egg yolk. I have learnt an important thing – extra egg white means crunchier, extra egg yolk means more pliable… yes please :D
- I pressed a couple of M&Ms on top before baking to give them a pretty top but it didn’t work the best because the M&Ms were not everywhere – as soon as a batch comes out of the oven, press in a few into the soft, cooling batter so it hardens around the candy piece for best results :D
- Use a hint of coffee essence and a pinch of salt to really accentuate flavour ;)
- Clip on a nose peg otherwise you will devour the entire batter before baking – I am just saying…
And just on a side note, tomorrow is an important Indian day: The Festival of Colours called Holi :D
By making these cookies, I have also eaten two flavours in one bite (I don’t like ‘killed two birds with one stone – we are not so cruel anymore!) because their colourfulness celebrates this festival and they will help keep concentration during a major study sesh – score right? :D
Well, I am off for another hour or so of sleep – Enjoy these Brown Butter Mixed M&M Chewy Cookies :D