Guest Post #7: David Lebovitz’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hi everyone, I am hitting the books and trying to pass the last exams of year 11. Can you believe there will only be one more year of school left then? I am SO stoked :D :D
Anyway, a couple of months back, I asked for your guest posts during this period and I was lucky enough to get a huge response – thank you all so much!
I promise you will not miss me, in fact, you will groan when I come back, becase I have so many wonderful guestposts lined up for you all! I hope you discover some wonderful new bloggers who tantalise your tastebuds like they do mine! Enjoy mes amis!
Should you need to contact me, I am more than at service through my email: or just leave a message on my facebook page: Go Bake Yourself

Also a significant note, I lost over 60-70 followers through some freak wordpress issue so please, if you were one of them and you have recently visited again, resubscribe – thank you!
Now I leave you to it… :)

My Logo
We are nearing the end of the guest posts and you will be stuck with me again soon unfortunately for you all :P
Until then though, I think you should really enjoy the makings and bakings of another fantastic Aussie (coincidentally Melbourne again) blogger who has so much spunk it may just blow you away :)

I would like to introduce your seventh awesome guest poster, Daisy from her gorgeous blog Never Too Sweet! Does she not have the coolest philosophy ever? :D

Hello everyone,

I’m Daisy from Never Too Sweet, I would like to say a huge thank you to Uru for choosing me to guest post at Go Bake Yourself. It is the first time I’ve ever guest posted, so I am a little nervous ~ I hope all of Uru’s readers will like my style of writing.

nevertoosweet 1Wanted to tell you a little bit about myself, I am a Melbourne based food blogger and I have a MASSIVE (no exaggeration) sweet tooth, lol, I can have desserts for breakfast, lunch and dinner, when I don’t get my daily sugar fix, I get extremely cranky and get what I call ‘withdrawal’ symptoms, lol, as extreme as it sounds it is true ~ I started my food blog at the end of last year when I was in HK visiting my family and I started because I really wanted to share with more people my passion for food and especially my love for desserts! That’s me in a nutshell, nice to meet you all!

Thank gosh Uru was so easy going and simply said, ‘You have full control and simply share any recipe you would like?’ PHEW! I don’t know what I would have done if Uru wanted a really elaborate recipe because I’d struggle with that.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnyhow, I kept thinking what recipe should I share… then I got the idea Uru goes by the name ‘Choc Chip Uru’ so I thought ‘CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES’ who doesn’t love them? Personally, I love Mrs Field’s cookies, because they’re always so fresh, chewy and sweet. Now I couldn’t just share any chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I raided my own cookbook shelf (yes I’m a cookbook junkie) and realised I just purchased David Lebovitz ‘Ready For Desserts’. I’m sure most food bloggers and readers will have heard of David Lebovitz and have come across his food blog before ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHe had a chocolate chip recipe in there and I knew immediately that I wanted to make it! It’s always comforting to know I don’t need to rush out to the supermarket and have all the ingredients at home ~

When I first looked at the recipe, it didn’t really look any different to the other chocolate chip cookie recipes I’ve seen or tried, but the main different was the resting time. David Lebovitz instructs that you need to REST the cookie dough, unlike the other recipes that immediately scoop the cookie dough onto a baking tray. He suggests resting it for at least 24 hours, I know it can be quite annoying, because sometimes you bake cookies because you want to eat them and not have to wait… but TRUST him and trust me REST THE DOUGH it really makes a difference!

David Lebovitz’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 ½ cups (350 grams) plain flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup (215 grams) packed light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup (150 grams) caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 400 grams milk or dark chocolate chips

1. In a bowl, whisk together the plain flour, baking soda, and salt
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or handheld electric mixer) , beat together the butter, brown sugar, caster sugar, and vanilla extract on medium speed until just smooth
  3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until thoroughly incorporated, then stir in the flour mixture followed by chocolate chips
  4. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into two and roll into logs about 23 cm long. Wrap in cling wrap and place into refrigerator until firm, preferably for 24 hours
  5. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper or silicon baking mats
  6. Slice the logs into disks 2cm thick and place the disks 8 cm apart from each other. If it starts to crumble simple push it back in and into a round shape
  7. Bake, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking, until the cookies are very lightly browned in the centre, about 10 minutes. If you like your cookies crunchier bake for another minute or two
  8. ) Let cookies cool on the baking tray until firm enough to handle, then use a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack

• The dough logs can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month. Baked cookies will last for 4 days in an airtight container

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANow I need to warn you! These cookies are ADDICTIVE! My boyfriend (aka Mr Bao) does not have a sweet tooth but as soon as I took these cookies out of the oven he came over and ate 5 in a ROW! I literally had to SLAP his hand away to stop him from eating anymore because I wanted to save some for friends :).

These are by far the most delicious chocolate chip cookies I personally have ever made, they are definitely soft and chewy just like the ones you get at Mrs Fields or even Subway :P If you like your cookies to be a little more on the crunchier side, I suggest that you bake them for another minute or so :D.

I hope you all liked this recipe and do give it a go sometime

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThank you once again Uru for giving me the chance to guest post! You have an amazing blog and I love all the recipes you post, you have such a positive energy in your writing! Keep up the great work my friend and hopefully we’ll finally meet in person one day :)

I hope we do my friend, one day randomly when I visit Melbourne :D Would that not be the coolest!

We are definitely sweet tooth blogging besties ;) Daisy, thank you very much for doing this guest post – chocolate chip cookies like yours are perfect and this recipe sounds like a real treat :D

Absolutely adore an overload of chips, don’t you? :D
If you all want to see wonderful photos, awesome reviews and mindblowing recipes like this one, visit Never Too Sweet for sure :)

Blog Signature

1. Food Stories says:

I have seen recipes where the dough must rest but I haven’t had the patience to try them … So glad you shared that it was worth it :-)

2. Heather says:

This is such an awesome post! I never knew that resting your cookie dough would make a difference, but it totally makes sense and can’t wait to try it out to see the difference for myself – thanks for sharing that tip and for the great cookie post :)

3. Veronica says:

Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite, and these look great! I love that your blog is called “never too sweet” because that’s a personal slogan of mine as well. I always say the only thing too sweet for me is straight sugar. lol!

4. Louise says:

Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect “ice breaker” Daisy and you did fabulous!!! Thank you so much for sharing and thank YOU, Uru for introducing us.

Good Luck with those Exams, Uru…

5. Hi Daisy,
    Great idea to make CCC for our beloved CCU! I’ve never let my cookie dough rest for 24 hours before baking (as I’m always too anxious for the cookies, as you’ve so aptly pointed out), so I MUST try this technique. Thanks for sharing David’s recipe with us!

6. Hi Daisy,
    So nice to meet you. These cookies look sinful! It would be too dangerous to have these in my house. I can finish off the whole batch. It’s what I call the ultimate treat.
    I love the shot of the chocolate oozing out from the cookie.

7. Tammy says:

There is nothing I enjoy baking more than Chocolate Chip Cookies. I am constantly on a quest to find the perfect recipe, but I have come to the resolve when it comes to Chocolate Chip Cookies, there isn’t just one perfect recipes. I have two different variations I’m dying to try this weekend and David Lebovitz’s recipe is next on the list. Thank you for sharing…wonderful post! :D

8. Kimby says:

Great guest post, Daisy! I like that these cookies are sliced and that you can make them ahead — always good to have a stash of chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer… :)

9. Lisa says:

Never too sweet IS a great philosophy! David Lebovitz ‘anything’ is always amazing..and these cookies are no exception! Love the gooey chocolate chips poking out! Another great guest post!

10. Saguna says:

Wow- a perfect recipe what with all of our love of all things sweet and dessert-related! I love crispy, chewy and chocolate-y cookies. These look like they satisfy all three requirements! Great post and nice to meet you, Daisy! Off to see what you’re up to… :)

11. Zoe says:

Our family is a house of 3 cookies monsters and these cookies will be gone very quickly if they are baked here in my place :D

Great to know that resting the cookies help to improve the cookie texture.

12. I did not know that resting dough will help! Great point and I’ll definitely do that! Not only my kids but I have weakness to warm delicious choc chip cookies. Who can resist? These look absolutely delish Daisy! Thanks for the guest post Uru! Hope your studying is going well!

13. WowHi Daisy!! Love the choc chip cookies, I wil have to try them for Mr Gg, he only likes the soft type, I like crunchy ones :). I am so pleased you shared this recipe, there are no cookies in the house at the moment. Thank you to CCU for choosing Daisy, great choice ;)

14. Allison says:

Wow, those cookies look PERFECT! I definitely still need practice at baking cookies– mine usually flatten out either too much or too little– but I like how this recipe involves resting the dough in a log, and then just slicing off perfect circles. I’m sure they taste better that way but it also looks much easier that way! : )

15. Tisa says:

Thank you Daisy, your cookies look way better than Mrs. Fields :)) I’ve tried A Lebowitz cookie recipe and it was insane, so I’m sure these are to -die -for! Uru, glad to see your lovely face on FB, even though I miss you much in blogoworld- STUDY HARD.

16. helene dsouza says:

Hi Daisy, nice to meet u! Your cookies look tempting, might just make some pretty soon. Its too late today already. =I But tomrrow hopefully. =)

17. applec says:

David Lebovitz is one of my favorite chefs. But I don’t have a book by him! Go figure!
    I know these cookies are probably the best C C -ers out there. Great job :)

18. navane64 says:

I discovered how to bake choco chip cookies today and thanks for the sharing. I must make and share with my nephews. I can go away with sugar but not my daily dose of spicy taste.

19. Tina says:

Hey Daisy :) Thanks so much for guest posting, it’s a great cookie recipe!! And I shall take your great idea of using glad wrap and cutting them from the log instead of rolling them by hand. And without you, I wouldn’t have been able to find this awesome blog! I’ve been following ur blog and email feed for a while, so I’m really glad this popped up in the my inbox!

@ Uru, hey I’m Tina and I’m a teen Sydney blogger as well! I’m currently studying for my HSC, so I should really be off blogger :/ but good luck for year 11 exams, seriously it’s a breeze haha, and then I bet uni will be a breeze compared to HSC!
    I hope you see this comment after your exams and have a pop over at my fb page and blog for a while :) Your blog is really great tbh, ur photos and writing personality are really cute! I’m also trying to search for fellow teen bloggers, I have two other friends from my school who foodblog, and it’s a great feeling to find other fellow teen bloggers out there!! Hope to hear from you soon :)

• Hi Tina it is so nice to meet you :D – another teen Sydney blogger that is super fantastic :D
      I love your blog, checked it out and wow, you are SKILLED! Wow good luck for your HSC this year you are almost through! I look forward to checking out more from your blog :) – whenever you have some time :)

20. Great guest post, Daisy! I love David Lebowitz. I haven’t tried his CCC yet so thanks for sharing this. Keep up with the studying, Uru! Just think – you’re almost done. I remember that feeling…it was so long ago, lol.

21. jen laceda says:

Awesome looking cookies!!! I just made some tonight actually…the dough is in the fridge, as the New York Times recipe called for a 24-36 hours chilling period (recipe fro Jacques Torres). We’ll see how it turns out…I do love David’s stuff, too, though!

22. Balvinder says:

Hi Daisy, First of all, congratulations on your first guest post. Love it! You chose the right recipe for Guru Uru. the cookies look absolutely scrumptious!
    Thanks for the important tip, will remember to rest the dough next time.

23. Pingback: First Guest Post – Go Bake Yourself (Uru) « Never Too Sweet

24. eliotthecat says:

I just made Levain Bakery version. They are awesome but I will have to try these soon.

If this message ha s many typos, please forgive me. For some reason the comment field won’t show up on my iPad so I can’t see everything I typed. ;)

25. kitchenriffs says:

I’ve read that resting the dough really makes the difference. We’re always so greedy, though, that we never can bear to do it! One of these days we have to discipline ourselves. Another great guest post! Thanks so much.

26. petit4chocolatier says:

Daisy, these are scrumptious! And I believe your boyfriend must have loved them; even without a sweet tooth; he ate 5!! I love your style of writing!

27. So nice to meet you Daisy and what a fitting guest post, David Liebovitz’s amazing recipe for chocolate chip cookies. They look wonderful and your photo’s are fantastic! Must check out your blog. I have a HUGE sweet tooth also!

28. Ramona says:

Nice to meet Daisy!! These cookies look amazing and I could eat a dozen of them since chocolate chip cookies are my favorite. I love how she created a log and then cut the cookies.. I need to try that next time. :)

Sweet Comments Welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,530 other followers