We have so many celebratory options in October it seems it is not even funny. Any type of celebration you want seems to be available in this month which kind of makes it really awesome. If I be brutally honest, it should be a holiday month. Do tell the board of education that 😉
But seriously, let’s see, do you want…
- A scary movie marathon? – Halloween
- To stuff yourself like there is no tomorrow? – Thanksgiving (admittedly not for all countries, Australia included, but I go along with it anyway ;))
- To have a night to let loose – Octoberfest
See? A month to celebrate what you want, where you and even when you want 🙂
But there is one very important part of this month which is slightly overlooked and while it is not perhaps the most fun, wild or crazy one, it is the most significant without a doubt.
October is the month to think pink, support pink, and basically, get your pink on to encourage awareness of breast cancer. We all know cancer in general, is one of the most unfair illnesses in the world. But the number of women annually diagnosed with breast cancer has increased dramatically all over the world, though I statistically speak solely from an Australia view.
Imagine how any woman or man would feel. One day simply relaxing. The next day feeling sick, getting lumps and being diagnosed. It happens in the blink of an eye which is what makes it even scarier illness.
We. Need. To Get. Rid. Of. It.
I wish I had a fairy godmother who could suddenly wish it away and bring back smiles to so many sick people who deserve so much more. Everyone does. But unfortunately life doesn’t work like that but we, as humans and mortals have the knowledge and resources to do the next best thing. The ability to invent something, somehow, which will send it away forever.
It may not happen quickly but I have full faith that it will happen someday 🙂
Here are some Australian stats (Source) for you all that we can all aim to get rid of – it will happen, if we all try for it, it will happen right! 😀
- 14000 women and 105 men are diagnosed annually
- More than 2700 women lose their lives each year
To think pink and feel the pink spirit of October, I made the creamiest vanilla ice cream ever made in existence but topped with pink magic shell topping (you know, the one that goes *crack* when it hits ice cream). 🙂
A spoon for all you brave battlers, past and present and hopefully not future.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Source: Le Cordon Bleu – The Original Masterclass: Desserts
- 5 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 375ml full cream milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 1 tbs vanilla essence
- 125ml thickened cream
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy in a heatproof bowl and almost white
- Bring the vanilla pods, bean and milk slowly to a boil in a heavy based saucepan
- Gradually whisk the boiling milk into the egg mixture quickly and then transfer the mixture into a clean saucepan
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heatfor 3-5 minutes or until the custard thickly coats the back of the spoon (do not let boil otherwise it will separate the mixture)
- Pour through a fine strainer into a clean bowl. Place the bowl in some iced water to cool. When the custard is very cold, stir in the cream (and the essence) then pour the mixture into an ice cream churner for 10-20 minutes or until the ice cream holds its own shape
- Remove and freeze in an airtight, steel container for 3-4 hours or overnight
- Serve with gorgeous pink topping 🙂
Pink Magic Ice Shell Topping
Source: Original recipe
- 1 tbs butter/copha (vegetable shortening)
- 28g white chocolate
- Few drops pink food colouring
- Microwave butter and chocolate together until melted and smooth
- Stir through enough food colouring to give a pink tinge
- Drizzle over ice cream and let the magic happen!
How else better to enjoy when you know you are not only making yourself happy? Share with everyone and spread your support 🙂