So I guess this was a long time coming, am I right?
For once, I am totally not going to beat around the bush, so guys… this is why I’ve been so busy…
I’M GOING TO LIVE IN BOSTON FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!
It’s been my dream LITERALLY since year 8 to go on exchange, and for the past year, I’ve been planning it through my university’s exchange program. I was planning a year but a whole semester of travelling, meeting people and getting a full American college life experience? I am totally fine with that!
I didn’t want to tell you guys before, in case my visa didn’t pan out or something happened to cancel the trip but thankfully, NOTHING DID! So now, a few days before I get on that plane and leave my fambams for the next few months, I have finally let it out.
And it. feels. good 😀
Why did I choose the US? Well… to be honest… I didn’t. I had major plans to go to Denmark, live in Copenhagen, learn a new language and basically take Europe by storm Scandinavianise myself up! But my course, psychology, has very strict requirements for subjects, and as a consequence, I couldn’t find equivalent courses in Copenhagen.
So my brother hijacked my plans, because he is studying law and essentially, that’s globally the same, and now HE is Denmark! Yes, we are going on exchange at the same time, much to the upset of my parents 😛
But my second choice was America and despite the failing dollar rate (I might live on $2 noodles while I’m there!), I couldn’t be more excited! An actual college experience, hockey games, A WHITE CHRISTMAS! Proper snow, toasty heated nights and trying to maintain my Aussie accent in a sea of people saying ‘waaahhterrrrr’? Yes, Yes, YES!
And the travelling. Oh. My. Gosh. I plan to update you guys wherever I am, wherever there is wi-fi, but that being said, I might just get lost in the moment and forget (although it will definitely restart my Instagram and Facebook page 😛 ) – I can’t wait to see all the amazing sites in America, to see the history up close and personal!
So yes, that is my big news. That’s why I’ve barely even been online here, or visited your blogs because my life has been so crazy hectic with planning and organising! And it’s about to get real in a few days when I get on that plane and remind myself I won’t see Sydney in a long time…
Am I scared? I’m terrified. I have never travelled without my parents or alone overseas without some kind of adult guidance. And this isn’t even a holiday on my own. This is straight up a move situation.
And I’m so close with my parents and my brother. The thought of not seeing them everyday, it is genuinely awful! But you know what? I’m going to live by a ‘What would Mindy Kaling say/do’ mantra and get through it. Not just get through it – enjoy the heck out of it! 🙂
I’m also a little scared because of your gun laws Murica… come on guys, it is ridiculous that there is enough of the population believing that guns promote ‘protection.’
But that’s a post for another time because my opinion on guns would keep my fingers typing for hours and hours that I don’t have at the moment!
ANYWAYS, I thought as my byebye-I’m-off post, I would make something that encompasses the chocolatey goodness that you have come to associate with me (addictions do make the person), and something that would keep you lovely people content till I next post up about,,, you know… a deep dish pizza covered with extra cheese or something 😉 #murica
Enjoy mes cheris!
And if any of you lovely people have any suggestions of where I should travel, let me know for sure!!! 😀
Kit Kat Mocha Cake
Adapted from: Exclusively Food
- 250g dark chocolate
- 250g butter, salted
- 2 tbs ground coffee
- 3/4 cup water
- 300g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 200g brown sugar
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5-6 blocks of Kit Kat
- 300g dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 tsp coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 1600 degrees C. Grease and line a 25cm baking tin (springform preferred) – I forgot the lining paper, which is why my sides are so rough looking! 😛
- Place 250g butter and chocolate, coffee and water in a large saucepan over low heat and stir until melted together. Let sit off heat till room temperature.
- Sift the plain flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add in both sugars and mix into dry mixture till lump free and combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, eggs, essence and buttermilk.
- Add the egg mix to the flour one and mix till combined.
- In three batches, add the chocolate mixture, stirring after each batch. Combine till you have a thick, gooey batter.
- Pour mixture into the pan and then bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (I did it for an hour and the middle was a touch gooey, like an underbaked brownie)
- Let cool in the tin to room temperature and then remove from tin and cut lengthways into two halves.
- Cut up the kit kats, and scatter them on one half of the cake. You may make extra ganache and layer it on top of the kit kats if you want. Carefully place the other half of the cake on top.
- Let sit in the fridge while you make your ganache (if it is hot, but if the temperature is cool, you can leave it out)
- Ganache: Place chocolate, coffee and cream in a glass bowl and microwave in 20 second spurts, stirring after each heating, until fully melted and smooth. Let it cool slightly until pourable.
- Pour the ganache on top of the cake carefully and decorate as desired (or eat it straight up)
See you when I’m on the other side of the world 😉
|| Follow my foodie adventures ||