Hi…. You may be wondering about the title. Well really quite self-explanatory if I do say so myself. After this little postscript you will not be hearing from me today, though I had such a fun post planned! You see, I have spent my entire weekend trying to write up an essay which is doing a good job of kicking my butt. Big time.
That is way too many hours spent frantically trying to piece together non-existent analyses of texts and failing at it. Still. But because of that I just want to forget all words and simply show you lots of visuals
Have fun with this slice mes amis – it is soft, moorish and absolutely stuffed with coconut😀 oh and involves crumbly shortbread and delicious delicious GORGEROUS strawberry jam….😀
A recipe that takes about an hour to make yet a minute to devour😉
*Changes in bold
Coconut Jam Slice
Source: Mastering The Art Of Baking
Makes: 12 slices
- 150g plain flour
- 75g self raising flour (SRF)
- 60g icing sugar
- 150g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla/coconut essence
- 165g strawberry/raspberry/your choice jam – I used lumpy fruity jam… don’t😉 – try and find lump free if possible!
- 110g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 270g desiccated coconut, toasted – I only had 170g so mum had the bright idea of simply blending up shredded coconut – you would not even know the difference!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and brush the sides of a shallow baking dish with melted butter or oil. Line the sides with baking paper so it extends over the sides slightly
- Put the flours, icing sugar, butter, yolk and essence into a food processor.
- Pulse until the dough starts to come together (it will be soft and sticky)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press together until smooth
- Use your fingertips (I dipped mine in flour to prevent stickiness) and press dough down evenly into the prepared tin
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes and then bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature (I was in a little bit of a rush so did not wait to cool down completely – the jam got a little sticky and all but otherwise it was ok :))
- Spread the jam evenly over the cooled slice base in the tin
- For Topping: Put the sugar and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until pale. Stir in the coconut and the spread the topping evenly over the jam
- Press down and spread evenly using a spoon
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is light golden
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the tin – Cut into squares or fingers and serve
Now personally.. I do not want to see a computer as long as I live😉
Oh and guess what guys? This is part of Lisa’s fantastic Sweet & Slice link up party! Check it out now😀