I’m A Newni Student!

– Posted in: Chocolate, I Want Cookies

You know, it may surprise, but I do still have the ability to bake. Shocking I know, but it happens occasionally that I now actually have the time to chuck my books to the side most respectably, put on my TARDIS apron (I know, cute.) and get out sugar, butter and chocolate :)

DSC_0067

It may not seem like it, considering when you look at my homepage and all you can see is CCU Undercover hogging away the front page and all. You see, if I start speaking in Freudian terms, CCU in a way, is my Id. My unconscious, overwhelming desire to go out and eat at every restaurant, regardless of the penniless consequences to come. She is impulsive, and merciless in using a knife and fork.

DSC_0045

Meanwhile, Choc Chip Uru is my normal conscious, my ego. I’m rational about how much I am eating, I reason with how much I am spending, and usually, I focus my conscious attention on baking. Seems like my Id has been getting the better of me but that comes to a screeching halt right now!

DSC_0061

It just dawned on me, literally while I was coming home on the bus (takes around 1 1/2 – 2 hours so a lot of time for reflection no?), that despite the fact that in the past couple of posts, I have enlightened you on new restaurants  and of inaugural baking events, I have scarcely mentioned my life as a uni student.

DSC_0056

Actually a new uni student – Turning three syllables into two because I am being lazy #unilife :P

Being a newni student is much harder than I thought. I kid you not, its as if school was this little tiny cutesy place. I can’t even remember having ‘periods’ of class – Its adorable that I used think that was difficult (self patronising)

DSC_0027

When it comes to my university, it seems that whoever the genius was who had it built decided that a mountain was the perfect location. Ok, perhaps I exaggerate. Its built on a really big close-to-mountain hill. A really big hill that at some stage was probably inhabited by massive mountain…. err… I mean… hill trolls that used to guard their position as so close to the sun.

DSC_0031

It is not fiction. It is so fact.

Anyway, because of this blasted hill, my uni is famous for, amongst scholarly attributes, its stairs. You know stairway to heaven? Led Zeppelin probably trekked it from lower campus to upper campus and was so inspired, he wrote that incredible song. True story.

DSC_0001

Being new to the whole idea of ‘exercise’ while student-ing, I am not even kidding you, I am usually shallow breathed and red faced by the time I reach upper campus. And it is just so obvious that I am a newni student because my calves do not rival Aphrodite or Adonis’ yet. By the time I graduate, seriously, just slap me if I am not entering ‘Best calf’ competitions, because those stairs are going to make a man out of me (cue Mulan singing for all Disney fans out there!) :P

DSC_0034

What else has made me really feel like a newni student? Besides the sheer size of course, I would like to introduce to the library. A library that is 14 stories high all up. Sounds impressive right? Well, I know for fact that an older student who will not be mentioned has never bothered to even find a book in it.

DSC_0007

She is actually my idol because I just know that if I try and be all scholarly, finding journal articles in dusty big books, I am going to do an ‘Evy’ from ‘The Mummy’ and confirm my image as the absolute biggest klutz to walk the earth. If you have no idea what I am talking about, please check out the clip below and chuckle to yourself ;)

And I won’t even look as good being klutzy like Rachel Weisz. So I’ll stick to internet thanks :P

As a newni student, I have also become accustomed to the universal principles of university life. You are allowed only 2 of these three things, according to law:

1. Social Life
  2. Study
  3. Sleep

DSC_0017

Write now, I am balancing all three but I am pretty sure the universe is about to catch up with me, tip me over the precipice I am currently standing on and kill my sleep. That’s just the law, take it or leave it kind of thing. Thank god they have made eye bag concealers now, officially going to be my new best friend.

On that note, whoever made 24 hours in the day, please, go revise your system and make it 48.

- Sincerely, every uni student to date :)

DSC_0066

Ok, I know from the sounds of it, I am giving you only a basic, very generalised view of uni, haven’t really specified exactly. Honestly, I suppose it is because it is very difficult for me to actually do so!

The opportunities I have right now are amazing – I can apply for internships, to be a research assistant to proper professors, to be part of my university’s leadership program. I can put my name down for exchange programs, I mean, can you imagine one day me writing from Denmark?!

IMG_5393

And don’t even get me started on what I am learning. My degree is actually psychological science, with me probably majoring in marketing? Because that way I can go into advertising and all :D Although be warned, I learn something new everyday so I am probably going to be a rollercoaster ride of random decisions to follow!

All in all, I am loving being a newni student. Sure, my hair is always a tangled mess and my skirt blows up more time than I can count because of the abnormal amount of wind. Sure, I am breathless because by the time I reach upper campus, my legs are like jelly. It is so worth it when you have no uniform to wear, parties to go to and amazing things to learn :D

DSC_0031

I am also loving my newni status because it means I have an excuse to eat more snack foods – longer uni hours means more food = cookies. Specifically in this case, chocolate chip shortbread cookies.

Crumbly but crunchy, buttery and perfect sweetness accentuated when you luckily get some chocolate chips, these cookies finished in 3 days. You wouldn’t believe me but they lasted only one weekend. And to think, I wanted to give them out during Easter time (though I have another special treat for that coming up! :P)

IMG_5380

You simply must try these cookies guys, newni student or not! Now if you will excuse me, I have to go snack and trek and study and party, while sleeping on the bus home… ;)

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Serving Size: 24 cookies +

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

These cookies are buttery, crumbly and delicious! No one stops at just one I promise! :D

Ingredients

• 250g butter, softened (I used salted butter)
  • Just under 1 cup icing mixture (or icing sugar) - Exactly 2/3 cup + 2 tbs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 cups plain flour, sifted
  • 1 generous cup milk/dark chocolate chips

Instructions

1. In a mixer, beat butter and icing mixture together on low speed for 2 minutes (till icing mixture incorporated) and then on medium speed for 2-3 minutes more, until the mixture is fluffy and pale.
  2. Scrape down the bowl, and beat in vanilla essence.
  3. Scrape down again, and add in the flour, beating on low till just combined.
  4. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula manually.
  5. Mould dough into a round shape and place on top of a large piece of baking paper.
  6. Cover with another large piece of baking paper and roll the dough out until it is approximately 1/2-1cm thick (it may be thicker if using normal sized chips)
  7. Score the dough where you will eventually cut it (the chocolate chips are very hard from the fridge) - Roughly 4x4cm squares.
  8. Refrigerate dough as is for 2 hours, letting the paper rest on a baking tray so it does not crack or lose its shape..
  9. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
  10. Cut the dough where scored and place back onto the baking sheet lined with paper.
  11. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
  12. Let sit on a tray for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Devour while they cool or be boring and store in an airtight container...

Notes

Adapted slightly from: Kirbie's Cravings

Notes: - I would use mini chocolate chips if they could be found, but normal ones work just as fine, giving a thicker cookie in the end - When I make them again, I am going to try putting in dried fruit and coconut sugar, similar to biscuits from India :)

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Blog Signature

Comments

comments

57 Comments… add one

Kim | a little lunch May 12, 2014, 9:05 pm

Uru, your description of the transition from high school to college was spot on — an entirely different world. And apparently one with mountains… hills. ;) You’ll be sprinting up them in no time, especially with these delectable shortbread cookies fueling your physiology! Congrats on being a newnie!

Lilly Sue May 4, 2014, 12:48 am

These shortbread cookies look so amazing!! And I am so glad you are getting along well at your university. It is a bit of a shock- the transition from high school to college. Hang in there! You are doing great :)
Lilly Sue recently posted…Family, Ravioli, and BeerMy Profile

Christine @ Cooking Crusade April 25, 2014, 6:14 pm

Best of luck with uni, that’s so exciting starting out :) These biscuits look lovely and great for late night study sessions with a coffee hehe!

Nami | Just One Cookbook April 24, 2014, 2:35 pm

I may sound like an old grandma or mom or auntie, but seriously, those university days pass by so quickly. I vividly remember those days, BUT I’m somehow close to 40, and I remember when I was 20! All I can say is to live to the fullest. You will be saying that to someone in 20 years one day… remembering about your college days, where time has gone?! Good luck!
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted…Family Fun in San Luis ObispoMy Profile

Anna Johnston April 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

BOOM… Look at you, a newni student. Such fun. I never did the Uni thing, but as an apprentice chef, it was always the sleep bit that lost out. :) I am impressed with your baking lovely one. Such a great go to recipe, and with the addition of choc chips = Amaze balls :)
PS: I totally thought I commented on this post last week, losing my mind, or reading yours. Either way, fab post. xx

Choc Chip Uru April 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Haha no probs Anna! :D
And thank you! Sleep is losing out for me too ;)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Jo April 23, 2014, 4:46 pm

these shortbread cookies look delicious! good on you for finding time to bake despite juggling your uni school work, social life, and rest.

You deserve the extra serving of cookies after climbing those ‘hills’.
Jo recently posted…Chocolate and hazelnut easter friandsMy Profile

easyfoodsmith April 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

I totally agree with others…no worries about the calories. Your close up shots have left me aching for these shortbread cookies.
And congrats btw :D
easyfoodsmith recently posted…PINEAPPLE JAL JEERA (SWEET & SOUR CUMIN WATER)My Profile

Jenn and Seth April 22, 2014, 11:26 am

I am totally making these shortbread cookies! I’ve been sooooo picky these days with morning sickness rearing its head all the time – but these sound PERFECT :) good luck with balancing everything, I remember how hard it was!
Jenn and Seth recently posted…Cheesy Garlicky Swiss Chard Cauliflower PastaMy Profile

Debra April 22, 2014, 7:42 am

OK—If I ate this perfect little bundle of shortbread cookies, I would have to climb thousands of stairs (partially because I would probably eat the entire batch)! Don’t forget the social life!
Debra recently posted…Broccoli, Grape and Whole Wheat Pasta SaladMy Profile

Susan April 22, 2014, 6:26 am

New adventures in books and stairs :) You will have a wonderful time learning there, I’m sure.

Love the CC shortbreads.
Susan recently posted…Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Rice Krispie TreatsMy Profile

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl April 22, 2014, 3:24 am

I love the shape of these…. not to mention all those beautiful chocolate chips! What a treat! Also great luck to you!
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted…Broccoli Grilled Cheese SandwichMy Profile

Annie April 22, 2014, 2:24 am

A very exciting (and tiring) time of your life, CCU! I’m impressed that you’ve had any time at all to even eat, let alone bake! What lovely little shortbreads!
Annie recently posted…Orange-Triple Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. Oil- and Sugar-free.My Profile

lisaiscooking April 22, 2014, 12:10 am

These cookies sound like a perfect snack after climbing all those stairs! I love the square shape.
lisaiscooking recently posted…Artichoke and White Bean DipMy Profile

Cher April 21, 2014, 11:34 pm

Enjoy your time at University! And hang in there, your calves will adjust
Cher recently posted…When we were young (Baby bok choy, sugar snaps & garlic en papillote: French Fridays with Dorie)My Profile

Nava Krishnan April 21, 2014, 1:14 pm

Its a beauty. This is one recipe I must try. Quite simple and most importantly, will melt the hearts of choc lovers.

I Wilkerson April 21, 2014, 5:20 am

Congratulations on your new newni-ness. One of my girls went off to college last September and I’m sure she would agree with you on the 48 hour days and the “pick any three” activities! You know with all those stairs and “mountains” you can eat more of that lovely shortbread!
I Wilkerson recently posted…M&M Cookies in a Jar (with Printable Tags)My Profile

My Inner Chick April 20, 2014, 11:48 pm

**in Freudian terms, CCU in a way, is my Id** Haaa
I just LOVE hearing about your adventures!!
Amazing.
And the presentation here is faaabulous…just like you, dear. XX
What are you fave. classes?

Pam April 20, 2014, 4:43 am

Yay, Congrats and enjoy University Life!!

These cookies look delicious.
Pam recently posted…Sausage and Tortellini SoupMy Profile

Sandra - The Foodie Affair April 20, 2014, 1:20 am

Oh, yes! The life of a student. You’ll look back with fondness, so try to keep that in mind when it feels like you are drowning. Cookies help too, most definitely :)
Sandra – The Foodie Affair recently posted…Lemon Thumbprint CookiesMy Profile

Ramona April 19, 2014, 10:18 pm

Wow, my newni life seems like a lifetime away. I do remember all the walking. We did not exist on a mountain… but we did have massive parking lots that we had to walk from all the way to the main campus and then between buildings. It’s nice you can live at home and still go to school. I did that. I hardly had a social life there since I worked almost full time, studied and slept the rest of the time. So please to see you are giving high importance to enjoying yourself and making friends. I wish I had done that. Going to university was just a means to an end for me. Get the degree and get out, hence why I did more courses so I could get out in 3 1/2 years. Maybe I should have taken up baking like you… baking makes you such a happy girl. I could have used some baking escapes in my day too. Like these fantastic short bread delights:) Enjoy it all my friend… don’t rush through it like me… the real world can wait for you to be the best newni student you can be. :)
Ramona recently posted…Easter Celebration Recipe Round UpMy Profile

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 11:02 pm

I don’t really want to rush it my friend I want to enjoy it as much as possible despite the large campus :P
It beat high school by a mile!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Choc Chip Uru recently posted…Happy Easter 2014!!!My Profile

Debra April 19, 2014, 2:44 pm

These bars look so delicious, and they’re impressive by being substantial. I like the word “newni” and I appreciate the creativity in conserving letters and still having a great word to describe yourself. I also enjoyed the video…but I would really love to see the giant library you’ve mentioned. Fourteen stories? Now that’s a library! :-)

Angie (@angiesrecipess) April 19, 2014, 4:34 am

Those cookies look so melt-in-mouth buttery and delicious, Uru.
Congratulations on university life!
Angie (@angiesrecipess) recently posted…Kamut Almond CookiesMy Profile

Amy @ Fearless Homemaker April 19, 2014, 3:04 am

I love shortbread and this version looks SO good – YUM! And congrats on being a newni – such a cute term you created there. =)

Blackswan April 19, 2014, 12:36 am

That was a beautiful shot, Uru! The first pix was very well captured & I’m sure it caught a lot of attention!
Blackswan recently posted…Vitacost’s NeoCell Beauty Bursts Gourmet Collagen Chews!My Profile

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 10:59 pm

Thank you! I really liked it too, something just clicked :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Choc Chip Uru recently posted…Happy Easter 2014!!!My Profile

Hotly Spiced April 18, 2014, 5:48 pm

I’m exhausted just reading about it. At least, with all those stairs, you won’t have to worry about going to the gym – that’s one thing you can take out of your schedule. Your degree sounds really interesting but yes, uni is such a change and a huge contrast from school xx
Hotly Spiced recently posted…How to Make a Titanic Birthday CakeMy Profile

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron April 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Being a newni student sounds exhausting but fun! Enjoy it! Let us know when you win that best calves competition! :P
Anyway, these shortbread cookies look so good. I could see why they didn’t last long! Yumm!
Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron recently posted…White Chocolate Cheesecake and Carrot Cake CrustMy Profile

GiGi Eats April 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

You’re going to be the most popular Newni, especially if you bring those cookies with you!
GiGi Eats recently posted…That’s A Haunted House 2 My Profile

Cakelaw April 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

So glad you are enjoying Uni, despite the hills. I was a geek – I chose study and sleep – although had very little of the later during some exam periods. These shortbread look nom!
Cakelaw recently posted…Baby Bok Choy, Sugar Snaps and Garlic en PapilloteMy Profile

mjskit April 18, 2014, 2:00 pm

College was some of the best years and I was in great shape once I graduated. :) Sounds like you’ll be in great shape as well with all of those hills and stairs. At least you won’t feel at all guilty about eating these crunchy delicious cookies!
mjskit recently posted…Green Chile Pathiri with Pinon Nuts and Queso FrescoMy Profile

Beth April 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Congratulations on becoming a newni student! And these cookies look awesome.

Brittany April 18, 2014, 11:48 am

WHOOO NEWNI! In the end it will all be worth it, just remember that when you REALLLYY wanna pull out your hair. Or just take some of these shortbread cookies with you EVERY WHERE YOU GO!

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 10:59 pm

I will definitely keep it in mind :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Choc Chip Uru recently posted…Happy Easter 2014!!!My Profile

Juliana April 18, 2014, 11:33 am

Enjoy this new phase of you life Uru…
These shortbread cookies look awesome and yes, chocolate chips!
Hope you are enjoying you week my dear :D

Reeni April 18, 2014, 11:21 am

All those stairs would make me eat more cookies! :-) These are irresistible! Wouldn’t last long around here either.
Reeni recently posted…Glazed Chocolate Babka RollsMy Profile

Hannah April 18, 2014, 11:19 am

Always happy to see your delicious recipes. These look like the ideal shortbread cookies- Buttery and full of chocolate!

LouAnn April 18, 2014, 11:14 am

I am glad you are finally talking about your university experience–I loved university and if I were to return to one phase of my life it would be my years at school–I loved it so much (and did not really want to enter the work world) I went until I was in my late 20s–enjoy these years
LouAnn recently posted…My HallelujahMy Profile

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 18, 2014, 10:46 am

Congratulations on your newni status! Hehe yes that sounds like my uni life too :P It seems like it was so many years ago!

Balvinder April 18, 2014, 9:57 am

Congratulations on your new UNI life. You are a smart and intelligent kid who knows how to balance everything. I love these cookies and , these reminds me of the indian style pistachio and cashew cookies that I ate in India.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) April 18, 2014, 8:13 am

Awww that is a lot of work but I’m sure it’s such an amazing, fun experience!!!

and I’m so happy that you’re sharing one of your amazing recipes-the CC shortbread looks so buttery and perfect!

Sophie April 18, 2014, 4:45 am

Good luck with balancing your life at Uni, lessons, partying & studying of course, lots of it! Thanks for these delightful looking chocolate chip shortbread cookies! They look rewarding after gardening a long time in my city garden! Yum Yum yumm! x
Sophie recently posted…Avocado pesto pasta with smoked salmon!My Profile

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 10:58 pm

Mmm post-gardening cookies sounds fantastic :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

deepti April 18, 2014, 2:29 am

You are smart and multitask really very! good luck and these cookies are just stunning… love to have some!

Norma Chang April 18, 2014, 12:59 am

Congratulations, sounds like you have adjusted well to uni life and doing very well at balancing your time and schedules.
I would probably finish those lovely cookies in one day, never mind a weekend.
Norma Chang recently posted…Harvest Monday, April 14, 2014 – Windowbox Planting + Seeds startingMy Profile

Coffee and Crumpets April 18, 2014, 12:43 am

Looks like you have a handle on it! You’re smart and you’ll do just fine. My daughter started last year (August) too so I know how you feel. Though, she seems to find time to be out socialising and getting her sleep! Wait…does that mean she’s not studying???? I wish all the best to all the Newnies out there. With a plateful of these wonderful cookies, I think I’d be set :)
Coffee and Crumpets recently posted…Honey Mustard ChickenMy Profile

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic April 17, 2014, 11:47 pm

Enjoy life as a student! These chocolate chip shortbread cookies look delicious and I would like to snack on them all day.
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic recently posted…Hot Smoked Salmon TartMy Profile

Suzanne April 17, 2014, 11:34 pm

Those cookies look great, so buttery and delicious and congrats on university life. You and your legs will do great. A big campus can be a challenge.
Suzanne recently posted…Coconut Pineapple Layer CakeMy Profile

Kim@Treats & Trinkets April 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Both my schools were built into the sides of (different) mountains, so I feel your pain. The first one you had to hike up about 4 flights of stairs from the parking lot, and that deposited you on the second floor. There was this balcony that connected 4 buildings that everybody used. I don’t think I ever walked on the ground there except to go to the arts building, which was about a mile away from everything. The library was my favorite place though, because it had these giant picture windows on the top floor and these old easy chairs, a bitchin’ view, and nobody was ever around. *sigh* Now I want to go back.

I totally did not bake at all in school, so total kudos to you for making the attempt. These cookies look wonderful. I love shortbread, and I love the addition of chocolate chips!
Kim@Treats & Trinkets recently posted…Homemade Strawberry Cake MixMy Profile

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 10:57 pm

Haha same with my library it is absolutely gorgeous ;)
And thanks, I am trying to keep it up!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 17, 2014, 9:27 pm

The University of Tennessee is on a hill and it is freezing cold in the winter – snow and ice. In the summer it’s freaking hot and every day you have to climb the bloody hill. It’s called ‘the hill’ too.

I feel for you. Now pass me a cookie while we compare calves.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted…Daisy’s Place RestaurantMy Profile

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2014, 10:56 pm

Haha then we both experience those damn hills :P
Bring on the calf competition ;)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Choc Chip Uru recently posted…Happy Easter 2014!!!My Profile

Joanne April 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

Even with all those stairs and all that studying, I’m so glad to hear you’re loving it so far!!

THis shortbread sounds super yummy!
Joanne recently posted…Spring Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Lemon Basil DressingMy Profile

A_Boleyn April 17, 2014, 2:55 pm

I spent many years in/at university as an undergrad, grad, lab tech, lecturer and general hanger on. Fun times. Enjoy yourself and keep baking.

Alice April 17, 2014, 2:47 pm

What an amazing new chapter for your Uru! Love this tasty shortbread recipe, with the added bonus of choc chips! Will surely cure any late night study cravings :)

John@Kitchen Riffs April 17, 2014, 1:45 pm

I’m not sure if even 48 hours in a day would be enough! At least not when I was in college. ;-) Fun post, great recipe. Thanks.
John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted…Celery Root (Celeriac) and Potato GratinMy Profile