WOW MA HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
The big 4-0!!! Can’t believe it you old grandma you… wait no take that back, too young for kids, panic mode etc…
Sorry back to the norm :p
To everyone out there reading this post, my mum is a very special woman. For her 40th, my family went all out because she deserved nothing but the best.
Here is why:
- She is the only one in my family who doesn’t complain about my constant talk on food
- She cooks the most amazing mutter paneer (an Indian curry made with peas and Indian cheese) the world has ever seen – maybe one day I’ll dig into my secret family recipe vault and post it up😀
- She has the most forgiving heart out of anyone in my life and she has never held a grudge
- She dresses like a queen
- She is my best friend and I love her like crazy
So you see? Doesn’t she sound like the most amazing person ever? She is AND get this, she looks EXACTLY like the young-aged witch in Tangled which is so fitting since her birthday is on Halloween🙂
It is fitting that my mummy got the equivalent of the 40 presents she asked for jokingly. After I told you this about her, how could you not agree?
If you have read past blogs, you will know she is a little bit of a one-bite-that’s-it lady. So for her birthday there was no extravagancy in the cake or overdoing layers and frosting.
I therefore baked her a raspberry coconut cake, frosted (just on top!) with raspberry cream cheese frosting and garnished with a little clumsy fudge writing and beautiful chopped up Real Turkish Delight in a gorgeous rose flavour!
Happy 40th Birthday Ma – I love you and you deserve everything you got and more because of who you are❤
A couple of adaptations were made in this recipe which I have noted as an adaptation in the version I give to you all😀
I also suggest (since I made 1/2 the cake due to the lack of sweet eaters – I am giving you the full recipe here) that for a 20cm springform to make 1 1/2 of the recipe for a nice thick cake because in a 10cm cake tin, 1/2 left it a little flat. Just to fill it up a touch more you know🙂
Coconut And Raspberry Cake
Source: Woman’s Day Magazine
- 185g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup SRF + 2 tbs extra
- 1 cup frozen raspberries – I increased amount to approximately 1 1/2 cups (can never have too much of a good thing)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (I increased to 1 cup)
- 3-4 tbs full cream milk (I did 5 tbs)
- ***I added a touch of strawberry essence but you can
always also add vanilla – approximately 2 tbs for the whole recipe
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line a 20cm springform tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in essence if using.
- Fold in sifted flour alternating with the milk into creamed mixture, ending with flour.
- Toss raspberries in extra flour and lightly fold into batter along with coconut
- Spoon mixture into pan, smooth top and bake 20 minutes for 180 degrees C. Reduce heat to 160 degrees C and bake for another 40 minutes or until a skewer. inserted comes out clean. – NOTE: I baked my cake for approximately 25 minutes at 170 degrees C the entire time (that was for half the recipe though)
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before releasing sides – turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Frost as desired and serve.
There is a frosting given with this recipe although I used a cream
cheese frosting as replacement. It is:
- Beat 1/2 cup thickened cream with 2 tbs icing sugar (I added that) until soft peaks
- Spread over slightly warm cake
- Dollop 1/2 cup of fresh raspberries, crushed, on top and swirl throughout cream
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Obsessed With Baking
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 230g Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 raspberry jam – I increased to 1/2 cup
- ***NOTE: I added 1 tsp of strawberry essence
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until light and creamy
- Sift in icing sugar and beat until incorporated
- Add jam (and essence if using) and beat until well combined
I added 6-7 drops of red food colouring as well to this recipe since it didn’t have enough of red-ish pink hue. Also, if making the whole cake recipe and decorating it like a massive cake rather than simple and sweet, I recommend doubling the frosting, halving the cake and spreading a layer and some raspberries before frosting top and sides!
Happy birthday again to my special ma and hope you all enjoy this cake – I know she did and would all the time! It was beautiful, tender with the softest crumb!
P.S Remember my sinking disaster – it didn’t happen this time because I allowed the cake to cool in the oven – SCORE!😀
- Candy S’mores Pancakes w/ White Chocolate Marshmallow Sauce – perfect for sharing with your special someone and spooning delicious marshmallow sauce together
- Raspberry White Chocolate Ice Cream – Similar to a flavour from Baskin Robbins, it is named Love Potion #31 there – coincidence or flavour destiny
- Strawberry Caramel-Chocolate Encasing Meringues – These represent all the Valentines day stands for – an overwhelming amount of love which flows out after the first taste of the day
- Strawberry Nutella Thumbprint Cookies – Small and adorable with a nibble of Nutella in the middle, these dainty pinkies are made to be served on Valentines Day
- Strawberry Ice Cream – The most romantic berry of all berries, how could such a sweet dish not be put as an entry