I am literally all over the shop. A metaphorical shop of course, I would love to own a little business though someday… Ok, I am being tangential once more, I told you I am all over the place!😛
Yesterday, was quite literally (FYI, I will be using literally quite a bit in this post) the first day in ages I haven’t done anything. I sat at home, I watched Fawlty Towers and I ate so much junk food my head started turning.
It was literally, the best day ever.😀 #noregrets
But yes, I am officially frazzled. Everyday till yesterday basically, I have been out. I am not even going to tell you about the indent this has caused in my wallet (a girl’s gotta eat!) but whether it be spontaneous movie trips or patisserie splurges, I am there.
I need to learn how to say no but… it is WAY too much fun😀
And now, after my day’s break, I am frazzled once more. Because tonight, it’s my used-to-be-annual movie night with my girls from high school a.k.a. as my mate so delicately put it, my stuff-yourself-with-chocolate night.
She isn’t wrong you know, and you will see that when I post that recipe another time (hopefully sooner than it took me to post this one😀 )
This means I need to get the food ready, I need to clean my room (much to my mother’s disgrace) and this means I need to finish off baking, and find the movies and make sure singstar works and just… in general… get myself organised!!!
Now, I totally know I could have done that yesterday, I really do… but my bed was legit lonely…
Oh c’mon guys, don’t lift your eyebrows up at me, we have ALL been there!😉
Anyways, did you realise that none of this ‘frazzlement’ has anything to do with the impending holiday? Nope that is a whole other bag of frazzles. You see, well, um, it’s like this… I may or may not have put our Christmas tree up. Yes, yes, I know Christmas is on Thursday BUT I have been waiting for a time my daddy and I can put it up together.
And classic moi, haven’t been home you know?
But I’ll remedy that asapfu. Or as-soon-as-possible… for Uru hehe
Also, I may or may not have gotten my presents yet. BUT again, I have an excuse for being so disorganised… I was volunteering at a gift-wrapping station AND as gift wrapping stations are, I got a ton of ideas for everyone!
Transformer deluxe for my dad maybe? Perhaps a my little pony set for my mum? Or would she prefer the X-Men limited edition action figure?
But, as you can tell, one thing I have had time to squeeze in, while sacrificing the four hour naps that are regimented into my cycle, is baking. Mais bien sur😀
Who am I to resist the tantalising lure of warm marmalade, dense cake and citrusy smells right? I mean, if I had scattered some cloves on top of this cake, it literally would have attracted Santa a wee bit early!
Not that I ever said no to that, I mean, it’s Santa! If I could, I would have that jolly guy over for tea everyday!
And who am I to not fall under the smell of freshly toasted almonds that are comfortably nestled in snowy folds of whipped cream?
Wow. I need to get into foodsmut writing or something, romance authors look out!😛
Oh dear, oh my, let me quote the White Rabbit here and mumble under my breath, ‘I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date!’
Which is why I shall leave you now dear readers to bask in the awesomeness of this delicious recipe and make yourselves hungrier, while I go untangle the christmas light chaos in my brain.
Hope you all are having a very merry holiday and are much more on top of your game than I!❤
P.S. I know, it is icing sugar but for me, pretend it is snow?😉
Orange Almond Cake
- 190g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 80g caster sugar
- 80g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60ml full cream milk
- 175g self raising flour (SRF)
- 50g almond meal
- 300g citrus marmalade
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tbs icing mixture (or icing sugar) + extra for dusting cake (optional)
- 100g flaked almonds, toasted and cooled
- Sliced oranges and mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180/160 degrees C (fan-forced). Grease a ring pan generously (I didn’t do that as you shall see!)
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla essence in a large bowl till light and fluffy. Beat in the egg one at a time till mixture is smooth.
- Sift the almond flour and SRF together, then fold through the butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pan, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the thickened cream with the icing mixture till it can hold it’s shape. In a small bowl, warm up the marmalade, rind and all.
- Assemble the cake: Prick holes into the cake using a fork.
- Generously glaze the top with the warmed marmalade, spreading it all around and inside the hole.
- Spread the whipped cream along the sides of the cake (don’t worry if it is a tad messy).
- Press the toasted almonds into the sides till all of the whipped cream is covered.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar and in the centre, arrange orange slices with mint leaves for an exotic look!
- The icing sugar clumps on top of the cake due to the marmalade, so if you want flawless icing, do it just before serving. I personally liked the cake’s look better where some of the icing had dissolved in.
Au revoir mes cheris! I am on the clock now😉