Sorry about that pun, but with all the oats I have just used over the past couple of days, it was really coming😉
You remember my post from Sunday, also known as my last post to date?
You remember how it was all about my new love affair with cranberries? Well, Valentines may have come and gone, but nothing will extinguish how I feel about this gorgeous red fruit. All dried and pink, all red and round – either way, it is my new favourite😀
Anyways let’s go back to yesterday, when all my troubles seemed so far away (that’s a lie, I am talking about Saturday ;)). I had an epiphany after seeing a post on the wonderful Averie’s site and it lef to me making a revamped version of her wonderful Blueberry Banana Microwave Oat Cakes. Why?
a) I am going to need energy to study – ok I know I could argue that chocolate gives everyone tonnes of energy to study but honestly, a short burst of sugar isn’t going to keep me going while something with some protein and good carbs will
b) I can’t rely on omelette every morning – Frankly this is because I detest omelettes and refuse to eat them on the weekends though I force myself through the weekdays with dripping tomato sauce!
c) I have my muesli bars which I love but I can’t whip them up fast for a good hit of taste and flavour without extending jeans – I need a quick solution so I have more time to focus
d) Speaking of extending jeans, so many people get fat during their HSC because they eat, don’t exercise and study (= sitting all day) – I like my sweets A LOT and I think I make that pretty obvious(;)) but I do my exercise too! I need a snack that I can sit and eat and won’t feel pressured or stressed out about afterwards which will affect concentration
You see? I can think rationally when it comes to chocolate – though it can be truly hard sometimes not to. So then I came to the conclusion, bright and early at 5:30 on Saturday morning to make these. They are tasty, flavoursome, have oats, berries, nuts, cereals and fruit and can be zapped in the microwave in 5 minutes – tasty, healthy and almost my ultimate breakfast (with a bowl of cornflakes maybe :D)
Eat, share (wait don’t!) and take pleasure in it – I can’t believe I am being so… like The Thinker and *ugh… health conscious😉
Can’t wait till these two years go by so then I can lax out (this is where your jaws drop and you think – “this has been her rigid???” :P)
Enhanced Fruity Microwave Syrup Oat Cake
Loosely adapted from: Loves Veggies And Yoga
Makes: One serve
- 5 tbs rolled oats
- 2 tbs mixed chopped nuts
- 2 tbs healthy cereal – prime examples are Weetbix, Cheerios, K-time, sultana bran, cornflakes and rice bubbles
- 3 tbs mixed chopped dried fruit (cranberries of course)
- 1/2 tbs maple/golden syrup (omit if desired)
- 1/2 banana, very ripe and mashed
- Pinch of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, chilli – if you are feeling a little crazy)
- Dash of vanilla essence
- 1/2 pear, very ripe, skinned, seeds removed and mashed
- 1/4 cup frozen/fresh berries (or any fruit really – I opted for raspberries)
- 2 tbs cocoa powder (optional to make a chocolate version – use 2 tbs brown sugar too then)
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut (optional)
- Mix first 9 ingredients together till well combined
- Add in chocolate, sugar and coconut if desired
- Gently stir in fruit until distributed throughout
- Grease a small bowl lightly with butter
- Press mixture into bowl and smooth top
- Microwave in 1 minute intervals or until top looks dry and oats are lightly browned (mine was done in 3.5 minutes)
- Let sit in plate for 2 minutes before lightly running a knife around the edges.
- Turn onto a plate and let cool 5 minutes
- Top with more syrup, fruit compote or eat plain and enjoy😀
**Important Note: I forgot to say you can add chocolate chips into this cake or Nutella as well… looks like I need some help😉
And here are some wonderful links I have recently been included in😀
- Teena from Teenz Yummy Delights hosted a wonderful Valentines Day events which featured lots of different bloggers and the recipes that made their heart (or someone special’s) heart sing😀 – I was lucky enough to submit quite a few of my pink recipes like this one and this one – check out the whole range of gorgeous posts right there and start bookmarking for 2013❤
2. The Communal Pantry – The Pantry Team from this awesome website has so many different tips, tricks and recipe ideas it made my head spin – I was lucky enough to be included in one of their posts on lunchbox ideas featuring my natural sugars super chewy muesli bars – featuring a lot of delicious ideas, this is one link you simply must check out😀 – Awesome ideas for kids and adults alike!
For the finale – The wonderful Ambreen of the delicious Simply Sweet ‘n’ Savory has tagged me😀
A fun idea for sure and you all simply must go and devour every picture on her blog – Thanks for this chance my friend!
1. You must post the rules.
2. Post 12 fun facts about yourself in the blog post.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and then create 12 new questions for the people you tagged.
4. Tag 12 people and link them on your post.
5. Let them know you’ve tagged them.
12 Things You Didn’t Know About Me:
1. I get very OCD about cleanliness when I am baking in the kitchen – an orderly kitchen is a kitchen in which I can find my ingredients!
2. I am a huge huge huge fan of One Direction (I love you!) – And guess whose coming to Australia…
3. I am a little bit of a nerd but very proud of it – I am a Dr Who fanatic and am in love with Asterix and Obelix and Tintin😉
4. If I had to choose between chocolate ice cream and chocolate cake, I would always choose ice cream!
5. I have an hour glass in my room which makes me feel Egyptian😀
6. I cannot stomach a lot of salt unless a rare occasion
7. I prefer rain to sunshine
8. I have a huge horror movie/book love (Dracula is my hero)
9. I enjoy writing ancient history essays (shhh… there is that nerdiness again)
10. I want to be an interior designer and continue French in university
11. I am kind of nervous about my upcoming senior years – something I loathe to admit!
12. I love that you guys support me so much and make me feel happy😀
Ambreen’s Questions :
- Describe yourself in 3 words? Relaxed, food-addicted and a little lazy😉
- If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Chocolate (no kidding :D)
- What is your favorite movie? I don’t know for all time but right now, Rise of the Planet of the Apes (and not because of the beautiful James Franco!)
- What is your favorite type of cuisine? A cross between Mexican and Italian, though I do love my Desi Indian…
- What scares you the most? Spiders!
- Coffee, tea, or neither? Neither (hot chocolate forever!)
- What is your favorite place you have ever visited? New Zealand
- Are you a sweet tooth or savory tooth? Sweet Sweet SWEET
- What is your favorite song? Too hard so my favourite rhyme is ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’
- If you could change just one thing about yourself, what would it be? Not to hold any grudges
- What’s one goal you have for this year? Learn a bit of savoury😉
- What is your most favorite post on your blog? My Best Blogs page – where I have links to heaven😀
1. Why do you blog?
2. Are you a social butterfly or do you like solitary weekends?
3. What is your dream job?
4. If you could have any kitchen superpower, what would it be?
5. What is your most prized cooking possession?
6. ‘When in doubt turn left’ – do you believe this?
7. If you were stranded on a tropical dessert and had the choice 3 dishes to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be?
8. What is your worst kitchen nightmare?
9. Do you think the Oscars were deserved this year?
10. What is your dream car?
11. Name one wonderful childhood memory involving food
12. If you could travel to anywhere in the universe, where would you go?
Who Am I Tagging?
- Erin @ Dinner, Dishes And Desserts
- Kim @ Just Baked
- Heather @ Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes
- Jamie @ Our Eating Habits
- An Irish Village Pantry
- Deeps @ Naughty Curry
- Jen @ Love Food Cook Food
- Emily @ Life On Food
- Christiane @ The Mom Chef
- Medeja @ Cranberry Jam
- Tia @ Simply Tia
- Sydney @ Sydney’s Kitchen
Go guys and spread your words around😀
Also, from my part, twelve is a lot so I am giving compensation to do 6 if you wish – Enjoy and have a great day to all!