Picnic Time!

You know what? I like picnics. The more the I think about it, the more I enjoy its memories, present and past. Daydream about future picnic adventures too I suppose.

I love the idea that you have so much in one. There are so many fun elements to enjoy as part of the one. I love that you can never have too many, that it brings friends and family alike closer together. That it just brings a huge grin to your face in anticipation (at least, it does mine!)

It is definitely for summer, though as always, I seem to break the rules and eat it in winter.

Post massacre ;)

Post massacre πŸ˜‰

Sorry, what? I am eatingΒ  a picnic? Oh you are so funny. You thought I was talking about the grassy park, swings, cricket match and barbecue picnic? Hahahaha, I was talking about this kind of Picnic. Cadbury’s Picnic. In your mouth πŸ™‚

It does after all

1. Feature many elements – wafers, nougat, crushed biscuits with milk chocolate? 4-in1 goodness much
  2. Have the ability to be addictive – do not even try to guess how many ‘crumbs’ I ate while making this treat (it will shock you)
  3. Bring family and friends together – ok, so we may bond over our shared love for this overload chocolate bar but when it comes to sharing, I think we are all too close for our own good (with claws out all round ;))
  4. Make you smile – One bite and you have fallen. Legit.

picnic bars2
Funnily enough, I did make this one-bite-picnic bar-dessert for a… picnic. Yes, the barbecue, open park, skipping ropes and play equipment style one.
You see, at school, we have a peer support program which I am part of with a ton of friends. Us big, scary, know-all year 11s (since the even bigger and scarier year 12s are too busy ending school) take the small, cute lil baby year 7s under our wing to teach them how:

• To make friends
  • To enjoy the school atmosphere
  • To respect their teachers, study and fellow students

picnic bars 12

This is what we really do

• Keep them from getting detention
  • Give them a map to the toilets
  • Warn them off the… teachers devoid of sympathy, empathy, compassion etc.
  • Help them not get squished in the canteen line

picnic bars 10
After teaching the basic survival skills needed in our jungle that is high school *biggest cliche metaphor EVER!* ;), we celebrate their achievements to not be bowled over with their mega sized backpacks at a huge picnic.

There are games (The group I am in are in charge of doing Limbo so sing with me, limbo limbo lim-BO, limbo limbo lim-BO), activities, laughter, (usually) sunshine and tonnes of food sharing. I wanted to help out in every part of the atmosphere right, get into the spirit no?

A milky bar? However did that get there? :D

A milky bar? However did that get there? πŸ˜€

So I kind of went over the top (again though I suppose by now you are more than used to it :D) and made picnic bar slices. Literally, a slice made out of picnic bars. Melted, ooey, gooey picnic bars πŸ™‚

What am I thinking? Bringing chocolate overload to lil kids whose sugar rush temperament is a little…. life threatening to those in their vicinity. But I couldn’t help myself. Because I have dying to make these for so long (as in for a month, ever since I got a pack of Picnic bars – are you not proud of my control? :P)

picnic bars 20
Now listen, because here is where things get important, twisted and round-eye worthy.
One. Slice. Goes. A. Long. Way.

I am a girl who puts 6 sources of chocolate in ONE muffin, eats a giant Nutella fudge cookie with marmalade and has the ability to polish off the leaning tower of pancakes gone Victoria Sponge style.

When I say one slice makes you buzz, I MEAN IT!

picnic bars 15
There is so much delicious goodness in one bite of this slice, you feel like you are sitting on cloud nine. The crunch from the extra chocolate-y coco pops (which instead you could use rice bubbles if you wanted to make a touch less rich like in the original recipe) mingles with the melted nougat goodness of the picnic bars. There are surprise wafer and biscuit crunches scattered throughout, all topped off by the buttery silky richness of milk chocolate. How can it get any better?

picnic bars 11
The original recipe was for this amazing Mars Bar slice, something I thing every child with a… childhood… has consumed at least once. Now I am questioning as to which one I like better, honestly, because if you added caramel to this feature, I think swooning will be in order πŸ˜‰

Never the less I managed to sneak-eat 3 or… maybe 4 but whose counting? (they would not fit in the box, what could I do?) πŸ˜‰

picnic bars 19
The original Mars Bar slice was incredible, I made it maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Now its Picnic bar cousin has come along to join the party – what next, Snickers? Hmmm, I can imagine it melting in my mouth already…

But for now, these are the changes I made to this original recipe:

• I used Picnic Bars… duh…
    picnic bars 3
  • I used Coco Pops πŸ™‚
    picnic bars 6
  • I used half milk and half dark chocolate in the icing (because I think my teeth would otherwise literally be falling out by now)
  • I decorated the top with crushed peanuts because crushed peanuts are cool πŸ™‚

No bake, no heartache, no pain but gain, this slice should be calling out your names πŸ˜€

Thick, crunchy, perfect

Thick, crunchy, perfect

Warning: Will cause severe tantrum, trampoline action and shenanigans for 80 and under

*****************************************************************************

In other news, I have very exciting news πŸ˜€

1. C.J. from Food Stories awarded me her new award, the Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling! So exciting πŸ˜€
Food Stories is an amazing, up and coming blog and it is a pleasure to read and get to know C.J. – thank you my friend very much!

foods

Rules of this award are:

1. The nominee should visit the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/) and leave a comment indicating that they have been nominated and by whom. (This step is so important because it’s the only way our judges will know who is being considered for the monthly presentation).
2. The Nominee should thank the person that nominated them by posting & including a link to their blog.
3. Share one random thing about yourself in your blog post.
4. Select at least five other bloggers that you enjoy reading their stories and nominate them for the award.
5. Notify your Β nominees by leaving a comment on their blog, including a link to the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/).

picnic bars 14
Ok, so random thing about myself?

My next most important news, I won a competition over at Not Quite Nigella! That’s right, a double pass to see a documentary based on the national treasure of Japan, the talented, 86 year old Sushi extraordinaire, Jiro Ono! The oldest Michelin chef ever and who only seats 10 diners at one time, his story, passion and commitment will be wonderful to see! Thanks Lorraine so much for this πŸ˜€

Check out this YouTube trailer for it πŸ™‚

Back to the award now, congrats to these nominees πŸ˜€

I guess that is all for now, till the weekend my friends (where I hope there will be a first time for many different things ;))

Rich, rich and more rich :D

Rich, rich and more rich πŸ˜€

Enjoy your weeks mes amis! And to those amis who I am meeting on Friday, do not eat breakfast πŸ˜€

Blog Signature
P.S. I remade these super healthy sugarless muesli bars to compensate πŸ˜‰ – They were just as super delicious as last time πŸ˜€
Different ingredients used (for fun): Original cheerios, dried cranberries, craisins and vanilla yoghurt!

picnic bars 16

Advertisements

229 Comments

1. Pingback: Attempting Silence « Go Bake Yourself

2. I think I gained weight reading it…. I don’t think we have Picnic bars here 😦 but we do have Lindt… and I found some I had hidden while cleaning the kitchen today…. so, thx for reminding me… gotta GO!

3. Hotly Spiced says:

We have two things in common. 1. I was also awarded by CJ and 2. I also won a double pass movie ticked from Lorraine! Great looking slice. I can imagine just one serve would do. I’m sure you were very popular with the kids when you arrived with that container under your arm! xx

4. WOW I love the mars bar slice and all the other goodies πŸ™‚ I haven’t had a ‘chocolate’ bar for ages lol i’m more of a dessert/cake type of girl but sometimes i have serious cravings for a mars bar hehe πŸ˜€ thanks for sharing these recipes!

• Mmmm, I know what you mean, sometimes only a mars bar wil hit the spot even though I am an ice cream girl πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for enjoying my friend!

5. Veronica says:

Oh me oh my, these are so decadent and yummy! I’m sure they disappeared in the blink of an eye! I’ve actually never heard of a picnic candy bar, that’s something we don’t have! But it really sounds good. And thank you for the nomination, I am honored. πŸ™‚

• Thanks so much my friend – they were happily very popular at school πŸ˜€
      I hope you find it sometime soon my friend, they are amazing! You are welcome and much deserving πŸ™‚

6. Joanne says:

Wow! I was doing so good, refusing dessert tonight then I found your post. Ugg! I think I need chocolate NOW! Delicious photos.
    Congrats on the award. πŸ™‚

• Haha, I like the way you think my friend – we should totally have a picnic πŸ˜€
      Thanks so much for enjoying and I hope you too have a fabulous weekend!

Choc Chip Uru

• Thanks so much my friend – you are right, I am utterly addicted without a doubt πŸ˜‰
      Glad you enjoyed them and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

7. Barbara says:

I’m not much of a candy bar-eater, but thought I’d heard of them all. Cadbury’s Picnic is new to me! Cute post and your recipe would be perfect picnic fare.

• We should totally have an international blogger picnic!!! OH MY GOSH I might actually organise that in my summer break…
      Thanks for the idea and support myfriend πŸ˜€

8. Ames says:

Wow that’s pretty inventive stuff! Will definitely get you off a few detentions if you had any (I’m sure you don’t!)! I’m a new reader who found you via your interview with the Orgasmic Chef – love how your love for cooking stems from your love for your family :). Keep up the great work!

• Haha thanks my friend – using baking to bribe teachers? Sounds like a plan πŸ˜‰
      It is very nice to meet you and I am very happy you already know a little about me through the interview – looking forward to reading your blog πŸ˜€

9. Starr says:

Can you believe I’ve never heard of a Picnic Bar before?… I had no idea that I was missing out on anything, until you showed off your decedent creation. The cruelly!… All will be forgiven though, once a small slice has been sent my way πŸ™‚

• Looks like you should find one asap my friend – decaadent does not even begin to describe it πŸ˜‰
      Thank you for enjoying this and right now looks like I need to be in the kitchen to earn some forgiveness πŸ˜€

Choc Chip Uru

10. You are always amazing and entertaining! We need to stop by regularly for our CCU fix. Hope all is well, looks like everything is great! Come see us sometime – POST RECIPE? You just said yes? Yay! πŸ™‚

I am more than happy to CCU it up for you whenever you wish – enjoy your blog just as much if not more! All of you are so talented in your recipes!
      And looks like I better make another batch stat πŸ˜‰

11. Tisa says:

This is insane Uru- insanely good- only you could think up a picnic bar in a full fledged dessert. I just wanted to let you know, that because of my appreciation of you and your blog , girlie, I’ve nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. You get so many awards, I know, but I had to pass this one to you. You can check it out on my page. Great post, as always Uru!

• Haha, thank you – a picnic is no good without desserts (at least for me and everyone I know ;))
      My friend, I appreciate this award so much! You make me feel very special. I am happy you received it my friend because you are one of the most deserving bloggers I know πŸ˜€

Choc Chip Uru

12. So how about I’ve never had a Picnic bar. It’s official. I’m convinced that all the good candy is being shipped to the other side of the earth. Congratulations on the contest winning! That’s super exciting!!

• Haha my friend when I see the lack of Hrshey’s products in Aus, I think the very same thing – exchange time??? Thank you so much, I am uber excited! πŸ˜€

Choc Chip Uru

13. Guru Uru, the story telling award is perfect for you. I don’t know any other blogger who tells good stories or write such fun posts. You really deserve it.

I can see the goodness going in these rich bars and making them yummy!!!
    Are you shipping that box to me?

• Thank you my friend, this means a lot πŸ™‚
      Your so supportve all the time!
      Also very happy you enjoyed these – shipping to you? Looks like I need to make another batch asap πŸ˜€

And I defintiely would if my container had not cleared in 5 minutes πŸ˜‰
      Another batch another time [soon] perhaps?

14. cookingactress says:

I have never had a picnic! I’d never even heard of it! But they look so so sooo good! Now I just have to figure out where tp get my hands on some…

• From what I know, it is a cadbury bar sold in UK, NZ and Aus – I hope you find it soon my friend, they rock πŸ˜€
      Specialty shops maybe? A trip to Aus maybe? πŸ˜‰

• cookingactress says:

*sigh* oh the trials of being American πŸ˜› My bestie is in the UK right now, perhaps I can coerce her to sneak me back some πŸ˜› She’s been to Australia toooo….such a world traveler that girl!

• I am pretty sure you can wheedle her into it πŸ˜‰
          Don’t worry, just exchange some amazing hershey’s candy with her πŸ˜€

P.S She is so lucky!

• cookingactress says:

Ehhh she’s from the US, so she’s kind of over Hershey–but maybe some peanut butter will do it, she sorely missed it while there πŸ˜›

• Thank you very much my friend, it is definitely a kid friendly dessert πŸ˜€
      That is a fabulous idea – they will have a blast (and I promise, only half goes into the fridge ;))

15. Sissi says:

Who doesn’t like picnics! You have got us with this one πŸ˜‰ I admit I have never had this picnic (maybe it doesn’t exist here?). I love recipes including bars and other products which are not originally made to be baked or formed into other sweets. Great idea!
    Congratulations for the award. You totally merit it!

• Haha score for me πŸ˜‰
      I hope you can find it, perhaps in a specialty shop or something similar – it was perfect though for these simple bars – I hope you get a chance to try πŸ˜€
      Thank you so much my friend!

Choc Chip Uru

16. I love that scheme at your school and you describe it so well (no wonder you’ve been awarded the Story telling award!) I wish we’d had the same where I taught, it sounds brilliant and I bet your young charges just love you!
    My daughter will love your Picnic bars and I suggest you check out her Snickers bars – they are truly scrumptious! Homemade Snickers bars on her blog http://shelikesherfood.wordpress.com/
    Have a good day
    love
    Goldenboots πŸ™‚

17. Elaine says:

Congratulations on your award! It is so well deserved. You are such a wonderful storyteller and I always leave your blog with a smile. Thank you so much for sharing your award with me. It is such an honor!

Your picnic bars look fantastic and I am sure your young mentees enjoyed every single one of them. I have not eaten a Picnic bar before, but I would want yours any day!

• Thank you my friend for so many kind words – you deserve the award, honestly! πŸ˜€
      I am glad you enjoyed these bars, though many of my young mentees were fighting against the big yr 11s for a piece πŸ˜›
      I hope you find them one day my friend, they are exceptional!

Choc Chip Uru

• Being a no-bake treat, these come together in 10 minutes or less my friend πŸ˜€
      I am sure they can be found in specialty confectionery shops my friend, hope you find it!

18. Kristen says:

I have such a weakness for Cadbury outside of the US. When my husband and I spent some time in Ireland years ago, I found myself skipping dinner just so I could sneak in a few more. I will definitely be trying these homemade versions.

19. Holy moly Uru, you certainly know how to raise the bar, the chocolate bar that is, hehe! I’m in love, these look so amazing. I’m loving that you put coco pops in too. I so want a mahoosive chunk of this right now.

• Haha, nice pun πŸ˜€
      I am so glad you enjoyed my friend, believe me coco pops beat rice bubbles out the door!
      And I had more than my share of mahoosive (love it!) chunks πŸ˜€

Choc Chip Uru

• They arrived almost immediately, thank you so much πŸ˜€
      Next Saturday my mum and I are breakfasting in paddington before catching a morning screening – I am jumping in excitement πŸ˜€

20. Courtney says:

Okay, I am feeling really left out that I have never heard of picnic bars before!?! I’ll have to do some research to see if they are even available around here…and we have corn pops, not cocoa pops…but I think I could find an easy replacement for that. These look decadent Uru – and your little 7 years are super lucky!!

• Awww, I hope you will find them my friend – they are a cadbury product which I know to be availale in UK, NZ and Aus for sure – hope you find them!
      I don’t think corn pops are the same but perhaps coco pops are also know as chocolate rice krispies? You can use any cereal you want really πŸ™‚

21. Liz says:

Oh, yes, definitely a picnic in the mouth! I wish you didn’t live halfway around the world or I’d be at your door begging for a sample πŸ™‚

22. kitchenriffs says:

Ah, high school! I remember that (kinda, sorta). Nice of you to help out the newbies. And Picnic Bars are new to me – sound great. Really fun post – thanks so much.

23. Food Stories says:

You are an amazing storyteller & you totally deserve this award. Hey, if it doesn’t fit in the pan then you have to eat them, of course πŸ™‚

24. My ,this journey does start and end deliciously. I want some picnic bars!
    You did pack a lot of things in this post, but it does make for a great read as well as view. You always have gone a step beyond the standard post which is a good thing.
    Ha-I am thinking of the story of the little girl at school talking to herself and too scared to get off the toilet for fear it would overflow or not flush. This would be the perfect lure!

• Thanks so much for enjoying both post and bars my friend πŸ˜€ – I love to talk and explain and as long as I am not being boring in the post, I just keep on going πŸ™‚
      Awww what a cute little girl – I am sure she needed that big ol’ yr 11 buddy πŸ˜‰

Choc Chip Uru

25. Right-o, you had me sold before going into the finer details of why those bars are so darn wonderful. And a picnic diet? Well, that sounds right up my alley πŸ™‚
    anne

26. Yep, you caught me. I thought you were talking about real picnics.

Uru, you just photographed one of my favorite Lindt bars. I treat myself very occasionally. πŸ™‚ Gosh, your photos look so good. I think I’m putting on weight looking at them. I would have a hard time resisting something that looks like those squares.

Have a super day! πŸ™‚

• Haha score πŸ˜‰
      Mmm, that Lindt bar is also my life – to eat and bake with!
      Thank you so much my friend, these squares were a picnic weakness I am happy to say πŸ˜€
      Have a wonderful weekend!

Choc Chip Uru

27. Your picnic bars look like our lunchbars – scrumity! πŸ™‚ Wow, so much chocolate has got me a little giddy…
    Congratulations on the very well deserved fantastic awards and prizes.
    πŸ™‚ Mandy

28. Louise says:

You are such a bad, bad girl tempting me with these bars of goodness so early in the morning. Who needs an energy drink when you can have these awesome Picnic Bars!

Speaking of Picnics (the grassy park like kind:) I do hope you’ll be joining us for the annual online Picnic Game on my blog this year. I’ll be making the announcement early in June. It is so much fun, Uru. You will LOVE it!!!

Congratulations on the Award and thanks for sharing…

• Haha, my bad, oops did not mean to (all lies) πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for enjoying!
      And a picnic game? I am SO in for that my friend, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for it – thank you for inviting me πŸ˜€

29. navane64 says:

I don’t have much of a picnic but more of home parties with family and friends. Its really a great way of catching up with friends and whats been the latest in their lives. Choc bars and low calorie —– than it must be for me.

30. Ramona says:

Thank you my dear friend for the lovely award. πŸ™‚ I have never heard of your beloved picnic chocolate bars… wish we had some here in the States to try. I would love the grass picnic or the chocolate one…. a picnic always means a good time. πŸ™‚ Great post!! Have a wonderful day. ~ Ramona

• It was a pleasure to award you my friend – yes, the picnic bars are only available in UK and Aus, NZ I think – hopefully one day you will try one πŸ™‚

31. viveka says:

Fantastic … love all this low calorie stuff – you make … a fantastic diet. Would be wonderful with a picnic today – we have +24C = 76.6F – wonderful – but I have handymen on my balcony. Love the little video, even I don’t eat sushi! Wonderful

Sweet Comments Welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s