This post is actually going to start off more depressing than the title would have you know, so just be warned. The title is actually referring to the beauteous… um… beauty… of this salty, buttery ice cream that reminds you of dipping popcorn into your soft serve at the movies.
OH YEAH BABY! Sorry did I just foodgasm too loud for polite society?😛
It is creamy and delicious, with a lot of different ways of changing it up for an even more fun treat. Keep reading to see more🙂
It’s my last week of holidays. Depression. Anxiety. Jokes, no anxiety. Just depression.
You would think four months would be enough but let’s be real here. It is SO not. Now somebody give me ten years off. Then maybe, we will talk.
That (and my horrendous food poisoning) is why I haven’t written in so long. I have been maximising my laziness and not moving from my bed. Literally there is a heart shaped imprint on my mattress from me sitting on it.
I would take a picture of it, but I think that is bordering on creepy. Just a little😛
And yes, I have been stuck to my laptop and sketch pad 24/7 so I guess I could have blogged, but it would have felt too much like normal times. Plus I was just so lazy, it was a lot easier asking for food up in my room and splurging out on
some many episodes of Jane the Virgin.
So yes, now, here I am, back into routine and *ugh* schedule since uni is starting on Monday. MONDAY! I guess a blogging schedule is a good thing really, in comparison to the work schedule to come. I am shuddering right now, more than any horror movie.
Oh dear god, just make me sleep now. Or at least give me a hundred tubs of ice cream to going.
No, wait make it a million.
Damn that won’t work because I don’t believe in god. Haha, maybe mum? Dad? Anyone? Someone act like a guardian angel already please😀
How you people work 5 days a week with barely 2 days and NO holidays (and don’t tell me 4 weeks is enough, that is inhuman) is beyond me. I don’t think I will ever be ready to be an adult. But you know what? I can see that formulating as a whole other post. So I will let it go for now😛
For now, enjoy this buttery sweet confection, and cry with me as uni begins again. Or cheer because you guys are uber optimistic and will probably remind me I will be seeing my friends and eating awesome uni food and all.
I’ll try to cheer up. Sigh. I will😉
Also, I made this recipe before here, but that was so long ago, I am surprised I can remember it. Old age you know?😛
*don’t hate me omg*
Popcorn Ice Cream
Barely Adapted from: Almost Bourdain – I am linking it here because the original recipe no longer seems to appear
- 300ml full cream milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 200g buttered popcorn + extra to serve (make a new packet if you can’t stop eating it – I did #noshame #popcornobsessee
- Heat the milk, cream, 100g sugar and popcorn on medium heat till it starts to simmer. Remove and let the popcorn sit and infuse into the warm milk for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl, pressing down hard on the popcorn to extract all the liquid and flavour (it is strong now, but will lessen as it goes through the churning and freezing process)
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg, remaining sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- While whisking, pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture, then pour the whole mixture back into a clean saucepan (the day I can take a photo of this will be a milestone… or actually a kilometre stone)
- Over medium low heat, keep stirring the custard until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon (roughly 6-7 minutes)
- Pour into a steel bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place cling wrap over the top, so it touches the surface of the custard (to avoid a skin forming) and refrigerate for 3 hours to overnight.
- Remove from fridge and churn the ice cream according to the ice cream manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve with more buttered popcorn on top and a sprinkling of sea salt (trust me.)
- Obviously, serving it with caramel sauce makes it ‘caramel popcorn ice cream’ – be more creative and put freeze caramel ice cream with the popcorn ice cream with swirls of caramel running through both
- Make ice cream variations of your favourite popcorn dishes – for example, snickers popcorn – add nuts, drizzles of chocolate and some extra salt🙂
- Possibilities are endless here people, be tons more creative – infuse caramel popcorn to begin with and go from there!
- This infusing method works great – I also used it in my incredible cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream
Sorry for the shorter post lovely people, still getting back into the swing of things. Sigh.😉
See you on the other side!
|| Follow my foodie adventures ||
Subscribe (upper right)