Still sick today!!! And I missed out giving Ms D her melting moments at her surprise party😦
And just now, I had a Nutella craving – but seriously, who can be bothered to whip up Nutella brownies or Nutella crème brulee or something! Forgive me Bell’Alimento but not all of us have a Nutella cooking gene of creativity!!!
So then I thought and pondered and definitely wanted more than just banana in Nutella or spoon in Nutella (hehehe…) and then it hit me! I had a single muffin – no, sorry, a SINGLE LADY muffin recipe stored away after a long scour through healthy dessert addict, Chocolate Covered Katie’s, blog.
What I loved about her posts on these muffins was that they were healthy as sin with just about no sugar (1 tbs sugar is how much people put in their coffee or something!) or sugar substitutes, no butter (which I continued in my adapted recipe) and basically nothing which can cast your thighs in the spotlight while still delivering a sneaky hit – cool huh?
Best part was that it was a microwave recipe and I love microwave recipes! If you are sick and sore but want something a bit more extravagant look no further than here folks – this takes even less time than the 5 minute chocolate cake recipe!!!
I adapted her Strawberry Shortcake Version and made it into a Nutella phenomenon with no guilt (how nice does that sound?)
Overall, the results were microwave level delicious and gave me the quick hit I needed🙂 Happy me with warm Nutella dripping from the middle!!!
I do believe though that my preferred recipe is indeed the 5 minute mudcake – maybe I’ll try another version of the microwave muffin?
After all I can:
- Add in anything – candy bars, chips (baking), essences etc
- Use peanut butter instead of normal butter which I subbed for coconut oil (and put jam in the middle – yea baby!)
- Do almost anything I desire!
For a staple microwave muffin, these were my adaptations over all (I have a suspicious feeling I have been saying adaptions for a while…)
- Used melted butter in same quantity
- Used full cream milk
- Used brown sugar specifically
I felt even healthier since I used wholemeal flour, knowing my results would be ok if I am judging my melting moments!!!
Nutella Microwave Muffins
Source: Adaptation from my staple microwave muffin recipe originally from Chocolate Covered Katie
Makes: 1 (for you :D)
- 3 T plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp full cream milk
- 1/2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs dark brown sugar
- 1 heaping tbs Nutella
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl except for Nutella
- Line a small glass/microwaveable bowl with a muffin/cupcake liner (if you don’t it will spread sideways like a cookie!)
- Place half the batter into the liner
- Place the tbs of Nutella in the centre of the batter (this is where you can also add in some crushed hazelnuts or chocolate chips or marshmallows etc)
- Pour over the second half of the batter, making sure Nutella (and add-ins) is completely covered
- Microwave for approximately 30 seconds then 10 seconds longer is batter still stuck to an inserted skewer (the original says 90 but I think that would literally burnt my cupcake since even after 50 seconds, my muffin was a little rubbery)
- Serve after 5 minutes cooling and see the Nutella ooze out🙂
- Place inside the muffin with the Nutella roasted hazelnuts or any other add in desired
- Top the muffin with any leftover frosting
- Use 1 tbs hazelnut meal instead of flour for extra nuttiness🙂